Today I had loads of fun in the kitchen with two little kitchen helpers. Yesterday, on our return trip from Ilorin, Kwara State, the boys – my 3 yrs/ 8 month old son and his 7 yrs old favourite cousin- told me what they want to cook with me in the kitchen this week.
Top on the list was Rainbow Cookies and then Rainbow Cake.
Gosh and they bugged me till I finished what i was doing and followed them to the kitchen and bake we did. Rainbow cookies would be made tomorrow. Come and bake with us.
We used a pound cake recipe we adapted from Allrecipes.com
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup white margarine
• 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
• 5 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
• Food Color ( I used 7 colours, Red, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green)
Pictorial of the fun things the boys got up to.
– Do not preheat the oven. Grease 10 inch tube pan and line bottom with wax paper or parchment paper.
– Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
– In a large bowl, beat the butter, margarine, and sugar on low speed for 10 minutes.
– Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.
– Add the lemon zest, vanilla essence and lemon juice
– Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, ending with flour. Stop mixing when you add the last part of flour, so as not to over mix. Scrape whatever is hanging at the corners of your mixing bowl with with a spatula
– Separate the batter into equal parts in seven separate bowls.
– Add a dash of colour, and mix it in till well incorporated. I prefer to use paste colours as against the liquid colours, we used both types .
– Pour coloured batter into the prepared pan, my boys wanted us to pour the Blue batter first and we followed with the other colours.
– Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 1 hour.
– Remove to a cake rack and cool for at least 3 hours.
Behold our Rainbow Cake, all I could hear were , oohs and aahs, oh gosh the cake is so lovely. I’m sure you agree.
Need I tell you that all their plans flew out of the window once they saw their cake.
The rainbow would appear once again in my kitchen tomorrow.
This is also a fun and inexpensive way to say happy birthday to your child and entertain friends too.
You don’t need spend money on a cake or know how to frost a cake, the colours of the rainbow would shine right through.