Savoury Steamed Corn pudding. It is also called Abari, Ekoki, Ekusu, Sapala, Nri Oka etc.
Yesterday I bought some fresh corn with the hope of making Adalu. I started reading some comments on my Ekuru post on Facebook and some commenters made reference to Abari/Sapala. I decided I was going to give it a try. I combed through the internet for recipes and I realised it was same as moinmoin only that people put their own spin on it.
• Fresh Corn
• Jalapeño peppers ( Bawa / Sombo / long tatashe )
• Smoked Mackerel
• Smoked prawns.
• Vegetable oil
– If you corn is still in cob, use a knife to take it off the cob
– In a blender purée corn
– Blend pepper, onion, and smoked prawns and add to the paste
– Add vegetable oil and smoked mackerel
– Wrap in leaves (traditional) or in a polythene bag or tin foil or ramekins… whatever rocks your boat.
– Steam cook till it is set and all cooked through.
This is my first time trying this or tasting it and I nailed it, it tastes so good, I don’t know why I’ve never had it before. Le hubs also liked it but because he is not adventurous, I’m foresee me being the only one relishing this 3 times out of 4 when I make it again,
In keeping with my portion control and keeping my eating clean I served mine with Steamed Vegetable – Ugu, onions and mackerel – .