About a week ago I played host to 3 of my cousins who came for a brief visit to Nigeria. They requested Banga Soup and so I was pretty sure i had the main course covered. One of them had had small chops the week before and she couldn’t stop raving about it, so after church on Sunday, we bought Small chops and Asun from one of the food vendors. The day before I was thinking of what to make for desserts, one of the girls I learnt is an amazing baker, so I knew if I was to make a cake, it would be something she would love. I certainly didn’t want to over do it. I wanted to do something simple yet delicious and perfect for dessert.
So gbam I went for Tres Leches.
Tres Leches is a Sponge Cake that is made up of 4 types of milk, though it literally translates as 3 Milk Cake. Most recipes I saw use Whole Milk but I substituted it with coconut milk.
For the Cake (makes an 8″ cake)
- 1 Cup Cake flour
- 5 Eggs (Separate Yolks from Whites)
- 1/2 Cups Granulated White Sugar
- 1/8 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 2 tsp baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Milk Mix and frosting
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk (about 14 oz or 400 ml)
- 1 1/4 cup Coconut milk (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (125ml)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar.
- Grease and flour a 8 x 12 inch pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Separate 5 eggs, and beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and add 1/8 cup Sugar. Beat till medium peaks and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the rest sugar till pale yellow. Stir in the 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add melted butter and oil
- Sift the flour and salt and baking powder together, and stir it into the egg yolk mixture, alternating with the milk as you stir it in.
- Fold in the egg white into the mixture carefully. ( to do this, you use a spatula and careful stir in from bottom to the top in a folding motion.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 20 minutes, or until done.
- Poke the cake severally with a fork and leave the cake to cool completely .
- Blend the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Pour this mixture over the cooled cake. Leave it in the fridge over night or at least five hours.
To make Frosting
Whip the heavy cream with icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract till stiff peaks. Frost the cake top with your favorite toppings.