Yellow Rice

image
Yellow but not so mellow

First time I had this rice was years ago at an aunt’s (not biological but I call her aunt anyway) house. Her  chef made it with smoked chicken, it was unforgettable. I quickly asked the chef for the ingredients but the only thing I remember thereafter was tumeric and ginger. I forgot all about that rice until I saw it today on So you think you can cook -my favourite Facebook food group-.  I knew immediately I had to make it for dinner.

image

Recipe
Serves 5
2 1/2 cups Rice
2 tbsp Tumeric powder
1 tbsp Curry powder
3 medium sized fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
1/8 cup olive oil
Salt
*Bouillon cubes ( not really necessary)
Green peas and parsley leaves for garnish.

Procedure
Peel ginger and garlic and blend to a paste.
Place a pot with some water on heat, and add the paste, tumeric,  olive oil, curry, salt, let it boil.
Wash rice and pour into pot once water starts to boil.
Cover and let cook till rice is done. Remember the plastic bag tip if the rice still seems hard and the water is almost dry. Add green peas when the water on top of the rice has reduced and you can only see bubbles from the underneath the top surface. This is so as not to over cook the fresh peas.

This rice is packed with a lot of heat, I served with chicken in tomato sauce.  Recipe for Tomato can be found here

image

9 thoughts on “Yellow Rice

1. yinka February 20, 2015 / 11:34 am

Pls what is tumeric

• Ounje February 20, 2015 / 11:46 am

Tumeric is a root plant like ginger. It is called Red Ginger locally in Lagos markets or Ata Ile. It is aromatic, very mild spicy taste and yellowish orange on the inside. Tumeric is found in some of our spices, like Curry powder. You can find Tumeric powder seasoning in the spice aisle of Shoprite, Osata, Park n shop if you live in Lagos. Or find a store that caters to Indians.

2. Remilekun February 20, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Thanks for this recipe am going to try it out.

3. Bukola February 20, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Please what Rice do you use? i notice the grains are long.

• Ounje February 20, 2015 / 2:30 pm

I used regular long grain rice, the type you’d find in regular markets in Nigeria.

4. Julia February 23, 2015 / 10:23 am

Thanks for this recipe.
    I have an indirectly related question: I’ll like toknow if you’re able to grow herbs like parsley? I find that whenever I buy parsley, it withers in no time.

• Ounje February 24, 2015 / 10:40 am

Hi Julia,
      Parsley is grown in Nigeria. Even though I’m not sure of the exact cultivation process. What I’m sure of however is methods you can use to preserve your parsley and herbs in general.

1. Drying them out and grinding to powder. It makes as excellent seasoning
      2. Infusing in any plain vegetable or olive oil and leaving capped. Makes for a good salad dressing or drizzle. The leaves stay fresh and can be used when taken out of the oil.
      3. Refrigerating.