I love love Ila Asepo (should I call it Okra Soup Medley or Concoction Okra Soup) but I don’t cook it much because my husband is not a fan. Click here the recipe for Ila Asepo One of those nights when I had Okra Soup on the menu, I tried being the good girl that I am and made plain Okra but added some mackerel and Efirin ( African Sweet Basil/ Scent leaves ) so I could get a feel of my Ila Asepo (no oil no pepper). I topped it off with Goat meat stew.
• Sliced Efirin (as little or as much as you want.
• Pre – cooked Mackerel (any fish of your choice is great )
• Locust beans (Iru)
• Bouillon Cubes (Maggi, Knorr etc)
– Wash and grate Okra with a grater.
– Bring some water to boil in a pot add locust beans, about 1 tablespoon. Add salt, bouillon, powdered crayfish if you got, Leave for about a minute and add the Okra, Efirin and Mackerel. Turn down the heat and cook for between 3 – 5 minutes so as not to over cook the vegetables. Okra has a lot of nutrients and it can easily get destroyed by over cooking.