That I like baking cakes is no longer a question, even though I like to insist I’m not a baker. These days I’m finding that I particularly like spiced cakes. And the list of Spices you can add to cake is endless. Spiced cakes are mostly associated with festive winter holidays, but I live in the tropics where it is summer all year round. And we love our spices and eat them all year round, so why not in cake.
I found this recipe on 2 Cups Flour and here is what drew me to it Browned Butter. It piqued my interest as I have never baked with browned butter before. The result was beautiful, had a hint of nutty caramel notes, and it ended up pairing beautifully with the flavours of the ginger and orange zest.
Culled from 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups (250 g) All Purpose Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp Orange Zest
8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter browned
¾ Cup (270 g) Honey
2 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
½ Cup (125 ml) Whole Milk
¼ Cup ( 50 g) Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 F (163 C) and prepare four 6 inch mini loaf pans. * I used foil packs* (spray with non-stick spray or a thin coating of butter and flour.)
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk together sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and orange zest.
- Brown your butter by placing in a small skillet on medium heat. Stir until butter is melted. Continue to stir and heat until butter is foamy and brownish in color.
- Pour brown butter into bowl of stand mixer.
- Add honey, orange juice, milk, sugar, and slightly beaten eggs.
- Mix on medium until smooth.
- Slowly spoon in flour mixture on medium speed until a cake batter is formed. (scrape sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate all ingredients, don’t over mix).
- Divide batter amongst the four pans.
- Place pans on baking tray and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. (cover loaves with a sheet of aluminum foil, halfway through baking so it doesn’t over brown.)
- Place pans on cooling rack to completely cool before removing.
- Eat and enjoy!