If the really delicious Ofe Achara with Akpuruakpu Egusi is not your kettle of fish, you want to skip the elaborate prep time, then you should try this instead. Delicious, simple and straightforward. This is an Ofe Achara recipe you will like.
- 2 cups Achara (the tender inner core)
- A handful of Okazi sliced very thinly
- 2 shelled ehuru seeds
- 2 tsp of uziza seeds
- Cayenne pepper
- Crayfish powder
- 1 tsp Ogiri
- *Seasoning cubes (optional)
- 2 tbsp Achi
- Assortment of meats
- Assortment of smoked fish
- Palm oil (roughly 2 cooking spoons)
- Wash, chop, slice your vegetables and set aside
- In a clean pot on medium heat, cook your meats with onions, your seasonings of choice, cayenne pepper, salt.
- While the meat is cooking blend the uziza and ehuru seeds with a spice blender or a mortar.
- Once the meat is cooked, add smoked fish, crayfish, ground uziza and ehuru seeds, ogiri, palm oil, if necessary some more water and let it cook with the lid on for not less than 10 minutes.
- Add Achi, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetables chopped (Achara and Okazi). Let it simmer for 5-7 mins before you turn the heat off.
Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite accompaniment