I was tempted to tag this, “Meat Pie; Nigerian Style,” but I won’t. However when you say Pie to a Nigerian, the pastry we are about to discuss is what would come to mind. I don’t know of any eatery in Nigeria (not talking of the new franchises that just started operating in Nigeria) that doesn’t offer Meat Pies on it’s menu. Meat pies are popular in two variants, Beef and Chicken and it is actually easy to make.
• 600g Short Crust Pastry
(Click on “Short Crust Pastry” it will lead you to the recipe for making the pie casing)
• 300g Mincemeat (Beef or Chicken)
• 2 1/4 cups diced Potatoes
• 1 1/2 cups diced Carrots
• 1/4 cup diced onions
• 1/4 cup spring onions (optional)
• 1/4 cup Plain Flour
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 1/4 cup water
• Seasoning (Salt, bouillon cubes, dried thyme, curry powder)
• 1/8 cup Veg oil
To Make Filling
– Pour vegetable oil in a pan and place on heat, put the bay leaf in the oil and let it sizzle for a few minutes and take it out.
– Pour the diced onions into the oil, fry till golden brown, add the mince meat, season with salt, bouillon cubes, curry powder and dried thyme . Stir the mince constantly when you pour it in to prevent the meat from clumping together. Cover the pan to allow the steam cook the meat, lower the heat.
– After about 10 minutes, add the carrots and potatoes. Cover to continue steaming.
– When potatoes and Carrots are cooked, mix the flour with water and pour into the sauce. Cover for about 2 mins, open and stir, taste for salt and seasoning.
– Turn off the heat, set aside and leave to cool.
To Make Pies
– Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board, and cut into fairly large round shapes. You can use a saucer, but I used pie cutters.
– Place the pastry into the pie cutter, pour the sauce on one side of the the round pastry, brush some egg wash or water at the edges of the pastry and close up the pastry pressing the pie cutter firmly.
*If you don’t have a pie cutter, fold the pastry over to form a half circle, press the edges together securely with a fork or with the your thumb.
– Arrange on a greased baking tray, brush with egg wash and bake in an oven pre heated to 350°C for 20 – 30 mins.
– In between baking, take out the pies for another egg wash. Bake till golden brown.
Serve Warm or cold.
2 thoughts on “Meat Pies”
Thanks for the recipe ma’am. How many pies will this measurement make? Thanks in advance.
This looks yummy 🥰