Clearly I enjoyed my Frejon – (Creamy Coconut Beans, a Traditional Easter meal) – a little too much. After eating frejon for 3 days in a row and discovering I liked it better cold, I decided to try it out as a dessert instead of a Savoury dish.
It has been renamed Frejon Exotica by my So You Think You Can Cook Family.
Let me show you how I made this delicious gluten free experiment .
• 1 Cup Ewa Ibeji ( Black Beans if you like)
• 1 tsp Cloves
• 1 tsp Chilli seeds
• 1 Cup Coconut Cream
• 1 cup honey
• 1/8 tsp Salt
• 1 plantain
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp Caster Sugar
– Cook beans with chilli seeds, and cloves till very tender and it has absorbed all the water it is cooked in
– In a blender purée beans with coconut cream, salt and honey.
– Heat oven to 350°C
– Line a baking pan or Pyrex dish with parchment paper
– Slice plantain and line the base of the pan with it.
– Pour the purée beans over the plantain
– Bake for 30 mins.
– While baking, break egg and separate egg white from yolk.
Whisk egg white till soft peaks and add sugar, then whisk till stiff peaks.
– Cover the top of the cake with the egg white after 30 minutes of baking and for another 20 minutes.
– Allow to cool completely before cutting or serving . I topped it with coconut candy and strawberry.
Tastes better when it is cold !
This here, would serve as a great dessert treat for a vegetarian or someone on a gluten free diet.
Should i mention that I had it for breakfast again today? Mum, I’ve eaten beans 4 days in a row ! Who knew.