As a teenager fried rice was one dish I held down with confidence. I had no doubts I would be cooking Fried rice for my SSCE food and nutrition practical as well as Efo riro, I knew the invigilators would be hooked. I didn’t want a repeat of the near disaster that happened during my GCE practicals. I had grated my right thumb on the grater whilst grating coconut for my coconut cake, I nearly ended in the ER and my barbecue grill that left me with half of my turkey half cooked. I got a C4 in GCE and got a B2 in SSCE. I knew my fried rice game was tight! So what makes my Fried rice game tight? This is it.
• 2 1/2 cups long grain rice
• 1 cup Meat stock
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 3 scotch bonnet
• A couple of garlic cloves
• 2 thumb sized ginger
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
• 3 Small green pepper
• 2 medium sized red bell peppers
• 1/2 cup blanched green peas
• 1/2 cup sweet corn
• 4 large Carrots
• Some spring onions
• Poached Eggs
• Bouillon Cubes
– Chop gizzard, hot dog and set aside.
– Wash rice with water till the water is clear and strain in a seive
– Add stock, 500 ml water or a little more, curry, thyme, salt , bouillon cubes. Turn the heat down
– Add to cooked rice and stir in with sweet corn and poached eggs
*Remember if the rice is nearly cooked but still a bit hard, cover with a plastic bag and the pot lid to trap steam and cook rice through. An old photo below
*Stir with wooden spoon or ladle