The secret is out! I love seafood!! When Le Hubs and I were courting, he told me he believed he was allergic to seafood. The reasons he gave for believing so were quite vague. He’d eat fish and meals cooked with dried and smoked shrimps/prawns et al and he won’t react, it didn’t take long for me to realise it was just his mind because he didn’t particularly like what seafood except fish looked like. Needless to say, this right here is his favourite seafood soup, served with bread rolls. Last Night I served with Pani Poopo a Samoan Coconut Bread!
This is soooooooo easy to make! !
• 1 kg Fish (personal preference Cod or Hake)
• 1 Kg Jumbo Prawns (shelled and devined) • Periwinkle *out of shell(le hubs is not a fan so I substituted with Snails)
• 1 Can Evaporated Milk
• Seasoning Cubes
• 1/8 Cup Flour
• 20 g Butter
• *1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 medium sized Onions
• Stock (from the boiled fish)
• 4 Yellow Scotch Bonnet pepper (Milled) * You can use red but I love the heat and the flavour of this. If you live in Nigeria, the igbo women who sell soup ingredients know it as fresh Cameroon pepper. If you live abroad you’d find yellow habenero pepper, please use only one, that pepper packs on too much heat for you to use more than 1
– Make sure all your sea food and snail is properly washed and cleaned.
– Season, boil, snail and fish. Debone and flake the fish
– Chop onions
– Melt butter in a pot on fire, add a liitle oil to prevent the butter from burning. If using margarine you don’t need oil.
– Add chopped onions and fry not to colour, add flour to it and stir to make a white roux. (white roux is a mixture created by cooking flour and butter as a thickening agent).
– Remove roux from fire and pour hot stock in it, making sure it does not form lumps, add more stock or water if too thick. If it forms lumps you can remove and sieve.
– Put back on fire, allow to simmer for 10 mins when removing the scum then season with salt, seasoning cubes, pepper and evaporated milk
– Add snail, and all your seafood, leave to simmer for about 15mins and add flaked fish. Turn off the heat. Serve hot soup with bread rolls.