It’s the long holidays and it’s the holiday most parents dread. The kids are in your face every minute, eating, talking and playing non stop!
Thankfully most schools have deviced a way to take them out of your hands for a few hours, Summer School they call it. But then they come back. As a parent you have to keep thinking of creative ways to keep them engaged and channel their energies positively.
So i have included in our fun list some cooking and baking in the schedule for them (my kid, my wards and a nephew).
So far we have made Sponge Cake , Plantain Loaf , Rainbow Meringue Cookies. We would be baking some pastry soon.
For the Sponge Cake we used a recipe by Terry Adido of Grated Nutmeg
- 120 Grams Cake Flour (1 Cup)
- 6 Large Eggs (Separated)
- 125 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons OR 10 Tablespoons)
- 50 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/4 Cup OR 4 Tablespoons)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 85 Grams Unsalted Butter (6 Tablespoons) (Melted)
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar (Optional)
Procedure can be found HERE
We used a recipe we found on Allrecipes.com and altered it a bit.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 over ripe plantains , mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened yogurt
- Prep 10 m Cook 1 h Ready In 1 h 10 m Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, add the lemon juice followed by the yogurt. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Blend the banana mixture into the flour mixture; stirring just to combine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
The rainbow meringue never quite made it to pictures, thanks to sticky little fingers.
And they made their own Chapman too
- 1 Fanta/Mirinda
- 1 Sprite/7up
- 1 Schwepps/Teem or Limca
- 120ml of Tasty Time
- 80ml of Grenadine
- 5ml of Angostura Bitters
- 1 slice of a medium sized Lemon Cucumber for garnish
Mix all drinks in a tall glass pitcher adding the angostura bitters last, place a slice of lemon and allow it sit for at least 30mins. Serve with ice.