It’s the long holidays and it’s the holiday most parents dread. The kids are in your face every minute, eating, talking and playing non stop!Thankfully most schools have deviced a way to take them out of your hands for a few hours, Summer School they call it. But then they come back. As a parent you have to keep thinking of creative ways to keep them engaged and channel their energies positively.So i have included in our fun list some cooking and baking in the schedule for them (my kid, my wards and a nephew).Fun! Yaaay.So far we have made Sponge Cake , Plantain Loaf , Rainbow Meringue Cookies. We would be baking some pastry soon.
For the Sponge Cake we used a recipe by Terry Adido of Grated Nutmeg
- 120 Grams Cake Flour (1 Cup)
- 6 Large Eggs (Separated)
- 125 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons OR 10 Tablespoons)
- 50 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/4 Cup OR 4 Tablespoons)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 85 Grams Unsalted Butter (6 Tablespoons) (Melted)
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar (Optional)
Procedure can be found HERE
We used a recipe we found on Allrecipes.com and altered it a bit.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 over ripe plantains , mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened yogurt
- Prep 10 m Cook 1 h Ready In 1 h 10 m Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, add the lemon juice followed by the yogurt. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Blend the banana mixture into the flour mixture; stirring just to combine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
The rainbow meringue never quite made it to pictures, thanks to sticky little fingers.And they made their own Chapman tooYaay!
- 1 Fanta/Mirinda
- 1 Sprite/7up
- 1 Schwepps/Teem or Limca
- 120ml of Tasty Time
- 80ml of Grenadine
- 5ml of Angostura Bitters
- 1 slice of a medium sized Lemon Cucumber for garnish
ProcedureMix all drinks in a tall glass pitcher adding the angostura bitters last, place a slice of lemon and allow it sit for at least 30mins. Serve with ice.