Baking bread can be so addictive. I’ve lost count of how many times of bread I’ve baked bread this lockdown period. From Agege Bread to bread buns and rolls, I’d even be making Focaccia tomorrow and artisan bread soon.
As a matter of fact, I’ve started wearing my fit watch whenever I knead bread and I set it to exercise mode. Kneading bread is legit exercise.
I like sweet breads, and this is one sweet bread I like, I love how the aroma of the coconut mingles with that of the bread as it bakes. I like Panipopo bread more, but this one is easier to make😁.
Last year I was in Jos and Blackcurrants were in season, so I bought a whole lot of them. When I got back I made a lot of Blackcurrant Jam with these. Yum! It’s Mango season and of course i will be making Mango Jam, so I’m eating up the Blackcurrant Jam to make room for Mango 😁😁
So here goes
• 3 Cups all purpose flour
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup Coconut oil
• 1 1/2 cups Coconut milk
• 3/4 tbsp active dry yeast
• 1/2 tsp salt
– First activate your yeast, by adding yeast and about a pinch of sugar to 1/8 cup warm water. The water should be about 110° – 115°. Leave it to sit for about 10 minutes. The yeast would being to froth if it is active. If it doesn’t froth, it is not active.
– Combine the coconut milk, sugar and oil.
– In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
– Mix in the, oil and the yeast, and milk mixture.
– Mix until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
– Turn dough out onto a floured surface and continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
– Grease a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the dough into the bowl and turn once to coat.
– Cover and let stand in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour or more .
– Punch down dough and divide into 3 – 4 equal pieces. Shape the pieces and place them into the greased pan side by side.
– Let dough rise for 45 – 40 mins minutes, or until almost double.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
– Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until rolls are golden brown.
Enjoy with your favourite soup, tea or spreads.
I love eating warm bread.