Before becoming the lazy baker that I now am, I have used this fail safe recipe for the most sinfully delicious chocolate cake for years! Until I fell i hot hooked on premix. The inclusion of coffee and vinegar gives me an amazing result. This is one of the reasons I always have at least one type of vinegar at home.
Few days ago Uzo’s Food Lab hosted an Instagram live session and Tomatoes was the topic. And she used tomatoes in baking chocolate cake! I knew I was going to try it!
Last night I did and gosh it is super moist and moreish.
Blended Fresh tomatoes is the secret ingredient! Uzo boiled her Tomato puree down to a paste, I used mine raw.
The science behind the interaction of these ingredients is what brings the magic. It’s delicious and I’d be doing this often.
Of course being the lazy Baker that I am, i used Cakeflair– Chocolate Cake premix, followed the instructions and substituted the water for blended tomatoes.
I whipped cream with chocolate spread from The Chocboy Chocolate/Peanut Butter Spread and covered the cake.
Husband dearest has asked me to go and explore adding Tomato/Tastashe/Rodo to chocolate cake🤦♀️🤦♀️🙄. Did you know though that chocolate pairs beautiful with chillies? Now you know!
Recipe (Using premix)
The recipe on the pack called for 1 cup of water, because I was using a fresh blend of tomatoes, I used 1.5 cups of tomato blend. I used about 8 medium sized to achieve it.
Recipe (Without premix)
When i’m not using premix, this is the recipe I use for Sinfully Delicious Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup hot, strong coffee (if you are using tomatoes skip this and use 1 1/2 cup blended tomatoes)
- 1 cup milk (using tomatoes, use 1/2 cup milk instead)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar. (Using tomatoes, skip this)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9×13-inch pan. (If using parchment paper, grease pan and line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, milk, oil and vinegar, nutmeg, vanilla extract.
- Mix all and finally add coffee, mix until smooth; the batter will be thin. (If using Tomatoes this would be the point you add your fresh tomato blend).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in pan before removing.
- Leave to cool completely on wire rack before frosting or wrapping.
10 thoughts on “Super Moist Chocolate Cake”
Am so going to try this.
Please ma’am,should I skip coffee when using the tomato?
Yes please. I mentioned in the recipe, if using tomatoes don’t use coffee.
What is white sugar
Is it normal sugar or icing sugar
The sugar is regular, normal sugar.
Wow! This is really great.
But since tomato may contain water and cake doesn’t need water, how do I handle the blended cake aspect before adding it to the batter?
The recipe doesn’t call for water. Indicated in the ingredients the items you would be substituting if using tomatoes. For instance if using Tomatoes you don’t use the coffee, and the quantity of milk is reduced as well.
Using cake premix
Were the recipe on the box called for water I substituted with tomato puree.
Now I think I’m gonna try the coffee option. I’m gonna try this weekend
Please do, you will love it! Remember to add vinegar too
I tried it and yay!
yay because i gave it a try. this was so easy to follow. i was not bold enough to try the tomato paste option, i used coffee instead.
it was a bit bitter because i did not used the recommended amount of sugar and i discovered cocoa powder to be very bitter. it also burnt a bit but i think that is because my oven is the regular type that cannot be regulated.
in all, i am quite happy with the result and i am bold enough to try again. thank you so much!
next, banana bread/cake
Way to go Tayo! Fantastic. Thank you for the feedback. You rock!!!