Here is a sponge cake recipe i found online and adapted. Remember I’m not a baker right, so the easier the recipe the better for me. I like this recipe because the ingredients are very easy to recall. So even If I don’t have the recipe in front of me I’d remember exactly what I need. My attention span is too short for long recipes.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1.5 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp melted butter (alternatively vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Whip 4 egg in a stand mixer on high speed for about 1 minute, then add 1 cup of granulated sugar in three parts while continuing to whip.
- Preheat oven to 350F with the rack in the middle. Line an 8 inch round cake pan (at least 2 inches tall) lined with parchment paper and sprayed with nonstick spray. Alternatively, you can brush room temperature butter on the inside of the pan, then dust it with flour, knocking out the excess to make the surface non-stick.
- While the eggs are whipping, sift the 1.5 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking powder, twice.
- Combine the melted butter and milk in a cup and whisk together to mix.
- Whip the eggs and sugar for about 15-20 minutes or until the batter ribbon falling off the whisk doesn’t disappear for about 2-3 seconds. You want to make sure the eggs are properly whipped before continuing with the next steps for successful rise of the cake in the oven.
- Add 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Now add the flour into the whipped eggs in two parts, carefully folding with a spatula forming the number 8 with each stroke.
- Add the melted butter mixture into the batter and carefully fold with a spatula until no streaks of liquid are seen.
- Do not overfold or the cake will be tough. Just fold enough to incorporate the flour.
- Pour the batter into an 8 inch round cake pan (at least 2 inches tall).
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes on the middle rack of preheated to 350F oven. Check the cake with a toothpick/skewer by inserting it in the middle. If it comes out clean with no crumbs on it, the cake is ready to be removed from the oven. Remove it to a cooling rack and allow to sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes. Then invert it onto a cooling rack and remove the parchment.
- Allow to completely cool before using.
- Recipe adapted from Let The Baking Begin