For those who have followed this page long enough, you will know of my love for seafood! I love seafood!
I love love seafood! Especially shell fish and crustaceans. The major seafood market on the mainland of Lagos “Makoko Fish Market“, is a 1hr 15min drive from my home, sans traffic. When I can’t get there I have to wait on the weekly farmer market on Sunday in my neighbourhood to get seafood, of course get to pay more.
You see that yoruba adage, “You don’t eat with 10 fingers”… it doesn’t apply here. You dig in with both hands slurp up the broth with bread, break the meat out the shells and eat up! It is a delicious messy affair!
- 7 cobs of corn (divide into smaller pieces)
- 4 kg Seafood (1 kg Tiger Prawns, 1kg Lobster, 1 kg Crayfish, 1 kg Crabs)
- 2 tbsp Delta Pepper Soup Spice ( I prefer the blend of spices that Delta women include in their peppersoup blend. It is rich, it is robust, it is flavourful
- 1 tbsp rough chopped rodo ( scotch bonnet). You can do a mix of yellow and red.
- 1/2 Ginger powder
- 1 small onion chopped (optional)
- A few Efinrin leaves (Scent leaves) chopped
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 – 3 litres Water
- Ube (it’s corn and Ube season, so why now)
- In a clean pot, add your cut corn and cook till well done,
- Add pepper, onion, salt, seasoning cubes, ginger powder, pepper soup spice, efrinrin and about 1 litre or less of water. (I like to add at least one piece of Uda and small bit of Uyayak to when I cook pepper soup. Honestly not necessary especially when you use Delta Psoup spice but I like it)
- Cover the pot. Turn heat on to medium and cook till the corn to infuse flavours of the peppersoup, this would take about 10 minutes.
- Once the corn is ready, remove from the broth you’d also find that the water would have reduced a great deal. Add more water.
- Add all your seafood starting with the crabs to the pot. Lower the heat and cook for roughly 10 mins still with the pot lid on. Seafood cooks quick.
- Turn heat off and serve hot or warm.
Serving with Ube. Blanch Ube, because it cooks really quickly. I blanch in boiling hot water for 3 minutes and I remove from the hot water. I love my Ube to have a supple light purple skin and vibrant lime green inside.
You can serve with some bread
One thought on “Seafood Boil Pepper Soup Style”