I certainly can’t be the only one who thinks up things at odd hours, and I suddenly become restless until I execute it. A Facebook friend had mentioned finding cowfoot in her freezer, I think she planted the seed of cow foot pepper soup in my head. I went to my freezer and realised I had no cowfoot left. I wanted to go out and get some but the rain was pouring so heavily. The rain only made my cravings worse, because I wanted something warm and spicy to tuck in with.
The thought of getting stuck in the return traffic kept me in check eventually, I settled for something else that was spicy. My to do list the next morning included getting Cowfoot, to satisfy my Cowfoot Peppersoup cravings.
Ingredients (Cook time 35-45 mins)
- 3 kg Cowfoot cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp Delta Pepper Soup Spice ( I prefer the blend of spices that Delta women include in their peppersoup blend. It is rich, it is robust, it is flavourful
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper.
- 1 tbsp Cameroon pepper
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- 1 small onion chopped (optional)
- A few Efinrin leaves (Scent leaves) chopped
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 litres Water
- Cowfoot is tough to cook so I recommend cooking in a pressure pot.
- In a clean pot, add your properly washed cow foot, pepper, onion, salt, seasoning cubes, ginger powder, pepper soup spice, efrinrin and about 1 litre or less of water. (I like to add at least one piece of Uda and small bit of Uyayak to when I cook pepper soup. Honestly not necessary especially when you use Delta Psoup spice but I like it)
- Cover the pot properly to ensure the pressure pot is well sealed.
- Turn heat on to medium and cook till the cow foot is tender, that will take between 20 – 25 minutes in a pressure pot.
- Once the Cowfoot is tender, release the pressure in your pot following the instructions for your pot. you’d also find The water may not have reduced a great deal because it was cooked in a pressure pot.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Lower the heat and cook for roughly 10 mins still with the pot lid off
- Turn heat off and serve hot or warm.
Enjoy with a cold bottle of Fresh Juice