I certainly can’t be the only one who thinks up things at odd hours, and I suddenly become restless until I execute it. A Facebook friend had mentioned finding cowfoot in her freezer, I think she planted the seed of cow foot pepper soup in my head. I went to my freezer and realised I had no cowfoot left. I wanted to go out and get some but the rain was pouring so heavily. The rain only made my cravings worse, because I wanted something warm and spicy to tuck in with.
The thought of getting stuck in the return traffic kept me in check eventually, I settled for something else that was spicy. My to do list the next morning included getting Cowfoot, to satisfy my Cowfoot Pepper Soup cravings. In Yoruba Cowfoot is called Bokoto.
Ingredients (Cook time 35-45 mins)
- 3 kg Cowfoot cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp Delta Pepper Soup Spice ( I prefer the blend of spices that Delta women include in their peppersoup blend. It is rich, it is robust, it is flavourful
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper.
- 1 tbsp Cameroon pepper
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- 1 small onion chopped (optional)
- A few Efinrin leaves (Scent leaves) chopped
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 litres Water
- Cowfoot is tough to cook so I recommend cooking in a pressure pot.
- In a clean pot, add your properly washed cow foot, pepper, onion, salt, seasoning cubes, ginger powder, pepper soup spice, efrinrin and about 1 litre or less of water. (I like to add at least one piece of Uda and small bit of Uyayak to when I cook pepper soup. Honestly not necessary especially when you use Delta Psoup spice but I like it)
- Cover the pot properly to ensure the pressure pot is well sealed.
- Turn heat on to medium and cook till the cow foot is tender, that will take between 20 – 25 minutes in a pressure pot.
- Once the Cowfoot is tender, release the pressure in your pot following the instructions for your pot. you’d also find The water may not have reduced a great deal because it was cooked in a pressure pot.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Lower the heat and cook for roughly 10 mins still with the pot lid off
- Turn heat off and serve hot or warm.
Enjoy with a cold bottle of Fresh Juice