My son requested garlic bread, he asked for a whole week. I was a bit hesitant because he is a picky eater and I didn’t want to make garlic bread and he would end up not eating it. I love garlic bread and I was please to see him devour this almost as soon as it came out of the oven.
NOTE: Using garlic chives is optional, I grow a lot of it in my garden and so I used it, it adds more flavour. You can switch the olive oil with vegetable oil. Remember to pan toast your garlic, it enhances the garlic flavour.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (some more to coat your board)
- 1 cup (240 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 5-7 garlic cloves, pan toasted and finely crushed
- *1 tbsp chopped fresh garlic chives (optional)
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
*I may have to return to make a few adjustments to the measurements in this recipe, I believe I eyeballed some measurements.*
- Sieve flour, make a well in the middle, add all the ingredients in, and mix in.
- Knead the dough until elastic and smooth either by hand or with a dough hook in a mixer. Dough might be a little soft, if it is sticky and a some flour .
- Oil a bowl and place the dough in it. Leave it in a warm place to double in size
- Once double, knock out the air, on a floured board knead the dough once again till soft.
- Divide the dough into 8 parts, shape into individual rolls. Place them on a lined baking tray
- Leave the rolls to raise
- Set oven to 350°c
- Bake bread first for 15 mins, egg wash and bake for another 10- 15 mins.
Serve warm with some herb butter. Or with a hot dip or homemade mayonnaise.