If you have followed this blog long enough you will know I’m an unrepentant Mango lover. During this season asides from eating an inordinate amount of mangoes, I find different ways to include them in my cooking. On this blog, I have documented different Mango Recipes from Mango Jam, Mango Lassi, Mango Liqueur, Mango Cream, Mango Salsa, Mango Syllabub, Mango Cake, Mango Parfait… and I have barely touched the surface of the amazing world of cooking with mangoes.
The bountiful time of the Mango season is slowly rounding up, so I’d be maximising these few days. Eating and stocking up on mangoes and their by-products too.
Heck, my company makes the best Mango Juice in all of Lagos (I dare say Nigeria) we can’t even keep up with the demand.
The steps for making this mango upside-down cake are pretty easy to follow. Prep time to cook time is about 1hr 45 mins
Here is how to make Mango Upside-down cake
- 200 grams butter (grease pan with some)
- 4 to 5 regular mangoes, (peel and slice)
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 regular eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- *½ cup fresh Mango juice (optional)
- Grease a 10″ round pan and set it aside (I recommend springform or silicone pan). Set oven to 350°F
- In a dry pan add ½ cup sugar and slowly melt, stir to help the sugar melt, once melted add 4 tablespoons (56.7g) of the butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it turns light amber. (*this step can be skipped and you can use honey instead for the base.)
- Carefully pour the sugar/butter syrup into the greased pan and arrange the peeled mango slices on top, overlapping the slices. (See image below)
- Sieve together flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- At high speed in the mixer, mix 1 cup sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla, milk and mango juice.
- Add flour mixture and mix at low speed, scraping down the sides with a spatula until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Use a spatula to gently scoop the batter into the pan over mango and spread evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack in your oven for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer comes out
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a plate or cake board and invert the cake.
- Leave the cake cool completely on the plate, then serve.
Enjoy your delicious moist cake.