Following my posts on Sausage Roll and Scotch Egg, I’ve had a couple of mails asking what is beef sausage is and where to get it. My answer has been, you can get it from the frozen goods section of any good supermarket or store. I prefer to use the CHI brand or the UAC brand. Beyond knowing the brands, you can actually make yours. I’ve been hoping to do post on this, and as fate would have it, I realised late this evening that I didn’t have any sausage in the freezer and I am making sausage rolls for my mother – in – law tomorrow morning. I quickly called Le hubs to pick up a pack for me from Spar but when he got there they were closed. There is no way I would be disappointing this sweet woman, she needs it for a fellowship meeting tomorrow. So i went into my freezer to get out a pack of beef. This is what I did . You need. 1. 350 grams of beef, cut up into small pieces Use a knife to cut off the sinew. Other ingredients 1/8 cup Vegetable oil 1/8 cup water 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper (Ata gigun) 1/4 tsp salt Ginger (just a small piece, peeled) Season the meats with salt, pepper and ground ginger In a good blender, blend seasoned meat with oil and water till a you get a soft smooth paste of meat. Wrap it up in cling film or a polythene bag and put in a freezer bag and keep in the freezer till you need it. You can use it immediately.
It’s elections day in Nigeria today and as such most people are indoors. I am because I could not get my PVC (Permanent Voters Card), it got lost somehow in the custody of INEC. I know however that whoever it is Nigeria elects, the road ahead would not be smooth.
So while others defy the weather and vote, I’m keeping my family entertained with some snacks.
My little oga woke up this morning and asked my Help to please make him some sausage. She is particularly fond of him so she instantly swung to action while I supervised and read out the recipe to her. Blessing is a very smart girl and despite being unschooled, she assimilates fast. I’m proud to see her bloom under my tutelage.
So here is Sausage Rolls made by Blessing (my help and “P.A”)
For Short Crust Pastry
350 g Flour (3 cups)sieved
170 g Margarine
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking powder
8 tbsp of water or less
– In a bowl combine flour, margarine, baking powder, salt and rub using the tips of your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs
– Add one egg and water and combine until the mixture binds and forms a soft dough. Handle the pastry gently and lightly.
– Place pastry in fridge for about 15 – 20 mins to set.
150 g Satis (ground beef sausage)
1 Egg (extra egg for glazing)
Beat the egg for glazing and set aside
Mix the Satis and Egg together
– Roll your pastry on a lightly dusted board (dust with flour or corn flour)
– Using a piping bag, put the sausage meat vertically at the edge of the pastry as seen in the picture below
– Roll over and brush beaten egg at the tip to seal.
– Cut roll into pieces, depending on the length you want.
– Place the rolls on a baking sheet , brush with beaten egg and bake for 20 – 30 minutes in a pre heated oven.
– In between baking, bring out the rolls and brush again with beaten egg and return into the oven until slightly golden brown in colour.
Serve either hot or cold, with your favourite drink.