Mango is in season and I think I’m a little obsessed with mangoes. Mango is my favourite fruit and I play with my mango a lot. I make jam with it, juice, smoothies, ice cream, salads, popsicle, cake, frozen mango cubes….
Well this is my Mango Cake. Please note, I lay no claims to being a baker, but in my experimenting with food, baking comes in too.
• 3 Cups flour
• 150g Melted Butter
• 1 1/8 Cup Caster Sugar
• 5 Eggs
• 1 1/2 Cups Mango
• 1/4 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Baking powder
• 1 tsp Baking soda
• 1 tsp Cinnamon
• 1 tsp Nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom
• 1 tsp Vanilla essence
• 1/4 tsp Vinegar
• 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
*I didn’t follow any rules or recipe. This is just what I did.
– Pre heat oven to 350°C
– Break eggs, and separate egg whites from egg yolks,
– In a bowl combine Mango Juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamon, vanilla essence.
– In another bowl, combine, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
– In a cup, add vinegar to the milk, this is my substitute for buttermilk.
– In a stand mixer, using your whisk attachment, whisk egg white till medium peaks, then add 1/8 cup Caster Sugar, whisk till stiff peaks. Set aside in clean bowl.
– In you mixer bowl, add egg yolks, 1 cup of Sugar and mix till it is pale yellow. Mix at medium speed and add melted butter and mix till it is well incorporated. Now gradually add your juice mixture, use a spatula to ensure that it is well incorporated.
– Reduce the speed and add the flour in 3 parts. Stop mixing after you have added the the third part. Use a spatula to gently mix in what ever hasn’t mixed.
– Now add egg white in 3 parts, folding it in gently till well incorporated.
– Pour in a greased pan and bake in oven till a tooth pick comes out clean.
– When Cake is ready, turn it out of the pan and place in a wire rack to cool.