In 2010 while i was job hunting, i took a short cocktail course and the first thing i learnt to make was Chapman.
I started my business Fontaine De Vie as a virgin cocktail business till it evolved to a healthy beverage option company.
Chapman is arguably indigenous to naija. At the time an internet search for “Chapman” would on lead you to names of individuals. Meanwhile it was so popular as a Cocktail at Nigerian parties.
First time i had Chapman was in 1993 or 94, at the restaurant of D’Rovans hotel. Chapman started out as a hotel and bar fixture then made it’s way to the party scenes.
In fact the Coca-Cola bottling co., sampled a variant of Fanta in the 90’s, they called it “Fanta Chapman”. It was my favourite next to “Fanta Ginger Ale”.
Chapman has a signature Sunset Orange colour which comes from mixing Fanta with Grenaldine. It’s Sweet, slighty tangy with a very subtle undernote of bitter. Best served with ice.
- 1 Fanta/Mirinda (50cl)
- 1 Sprite/7up (35cl)
- 1 Schwepps/Teem or Limca (35cl)
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Tasty Time Blackcurrant (or any blackcurrant cordial drink)
- 100ml (a little less than 1/2 of red Grenadine syrup
- 5ml (1 tsp) Angostura Bitters (if you don’t have this, don’t worry, it helps improve the taste but you will still enjoy your Chapman without it)
- * 20ml Campari (if you want to make it alcoholic, skip the angostura)
- 5 slices of a medium sized Lemon A couple of slices of Cucumber for garnish
Mix all drinks in a tall glass pitcher adding the angostura bitters last, add 3 slices of lemon, 3 slice of cucumber and allow the flavours to infuse for at least 30mins.
Serve with ice.
5 thoughts on “Chapman”
I love this and want to learn more
I totally love what you are doing ma’am….
I would love to learn to empower myself..
Thank you very much