Since I learnt to make Groundnut soup, I can make it in my sleep.
When i have a flu, i make it extra spicy
- 1 1/2 Cups raw (unpeeled, dehusked) groundnut
- 2 tsp Uziza Seeds
- 2 Dried Cameroon Peppers
- *Goat meat (personal preference)
- Stock fish
- Smoked Fish
- 1/8 cup of smoked prawns
- 2 tbsp powdered smoked prawns
- 2 tbsp powdered stock fish flakes
- 2 smoked catfish (shredded)
- Seasoning cubes
- 1/4 cup periwinkle
- 1 cooking spoon palm oil (or less)
- 2 cooking spoons blended fresh scotch bonnet ( Ata rodo )
- Efirin ( African sweet Basil / Scent leaf )
- Boil meat with some water, salt and season, add powdered smoked prawns and powdered stock fish flakes.
- While the meat is cooking, in a dry pan or wok slighty toast the groundnut, Uziza and Cameroon pepper till you can smell the aroma coming out. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- While the groundnuts cool, slice the efirin leaves.
- In the dry mill of your blender, blend the groundnut, Uziza and Cameroon pepper to a very smooth powder. The texture of the blended groundnuts should not be grainy. (Blend the groundnut with skin on)
- Check the meat to see if it is soft then add the stock fish pieces and the whole smoked prawns.
- Then add the pepper and palm oil. Allow to cook till the palm oil blends in.
- Then add the periwinkle, shredded smoked fish.
- Taste if you need to re-season, I doubt though.
- Next add the blended groundnut and stir it in, the soup starts to thicken add water if becomes too thick. Turn down the heat.
- Leave for about 5 minutes and add the efirin leaves. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on so as not to overcook the efirin.
Pair with your favorite accompaniment.
Serve with your favorite accompaniment. I found that asides morsels (swallow) it pairs well with rice, fried Plantain, yam as well. You should try it.