This recipe is courtesy of an amazing lady i met on facebook, Ngozi Ogwuegbu Nnopuechi. She made the “awesomest” Ugba Salad for a hangout some time back and she was kind enough to share her recipe with me when i asked her. This is a shout out to her. I sent her a picture of my first attempt below.
2 Cups Ugba,
3 Uziza leaves sliced thinly ,
4 Utazi leaves sliced thinly,
1/2 tsp Powdered Crayfish ,
Ehuru (2 seeds ground finely),
1 tsp Potash,
1/4 cup Palm Oil,
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste preferably cayenne pepper)
*Garden Eggs optional
- Soak your stockfish in hot water until the fish is tender. Rinse your ugba thoroughly , some people prefer to wash it with warm water and salt.
- To make the base, heat up your palm oil in a pot or wok. Dissolve the potash in 1 tbsp Water. Pour the dissolved potash into your heated oil. The oil will froth and cuddle, turn down the heat and stir well.
- Once base is done add Ehuru it has a strong aroma and salt
- Add the Stockfish, Ugba and then pepper crayfish seasoning
- Add the thinly sliced Uziza leaf and utazi leaf and you’re done
You can serve with smoked fish or fried fish.
I experimented with dodo (Fried Plantian) and it was absolutely delicious.
One thought on “Ugba Salad ”