I’m in love with seafood and that is no secret. Making this was inspired by making Seafood Okra.
1. Ogbono Seeds (a 170g milk tin size)
2. Uziza leaves (a handful of thinly sliced leaves)
3. Assorted Fresh Seafood (shrimps/crabs/prawns/fish)
4. Smoked catfish and stockfish
5. 1/8 cup dried crayfish
6. 1/2 tsp Uziza seeds
7. 5 dried Cameron Pepper
8. Cayenne pepper ( ground dried chilli pepper )
9. 1 tbsp palm oil
10. 1 tbsp ogiri
12. Seasoning cubes
I used a slightly different method to cook this. I cooked the Ogbono separately before adding it to a lot of cooked seafood
To cook the Ogbono
- Grind Ogbono Seeds with crayfish.
- Blend Cameroon pepper and Uziza seeds together.
- Rinse Uziza and Ugu leaves .
- Put a clean dry pot on heat and add palm oil, next add the ground Ogbono and stir till all lumps are dissolved now add your meat stock, if you don’t have meat stock add water. The soup starts to thicken and get stretchy.
- Now add ground Uziza seeds and Cameroon pepper, and a little cayenne pepper for extra heat -if you can take it-
- Now add your dissolved -dissolve with water- ogiri, and allow to cook for about 5 minutes now add the Uziza leaves and turn off heat after 3 mins.
Preparing the seafood
- In another larger pot, cook the seafood starting with the fish, cooked with water, onions, seasoning cubes, salt, shredded stockfish, bonga fish.
- When the fish is almost done, add the Carbs and cook for 3 mins, then add the Prawns.
At this point pour cooked Ogbono into the pot of Seafood and shake it together to mix.
I stirred very carefully with a wooden ladle , cooked for 5 mins and lastly I added the periwinkle. Cooked for 1 1/2 mins and turned off the heat.