Lemon is my favourite citrus to cook with. It is such a versatile citrus, from sweets to savory, seafood to meats it works beautifully with almost everything. And so why not doughnuts.
Twisting the dough is the twist to this doughnut. Yikes… that joke fell flat on its face. Whatever you get it… right.
Anyhoo, infusing the zest of lemons into the dough and dipping the doughnuts in lemon syrup I gave these doughnuts a beautiful oommph. You should try it
For Lemon Doughnuts
- All Purpose Flour 400g – 450g (2.5cups – 3 Cups)
- Margarine 100g (Alternatively 1/2 cup vegetable oil)
- Sugar 75g (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dry Active Yeast
- 1 cup warm Milk (you can use 1/4 cup powder milk + 3/4 cup Warm Water)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest.
For Lemon Syrup
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Lemon Zest
For Lemon Doughnuts
– Sieve flour into bowl, add yeast and stir, then add sugar, margarine and rub in (if using veg oil add to the wet mix )
– In another bowl, add warm milk, beaten egg and mix.
– Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in liquid mixture then. You will get a soft sticky dough
– Knead until elastic or place on a mixer and knead using the dough hook until elastic or smooth.
– Don’t be tempted to add more flour. If kneading on a surface apply oil on the board instead of flour.
– Roll dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover and leave to rise
– Leave to rise to about double it’s size. Once risen, knock out the air.
– Roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured board. Use a roller cutter or any sharp knife to cut into strips
– Fold it strip and twist into a two strand braid.
– Tuck each end tightly into each other.
– Place cut out dough on a floured board or preferably parchment paper lined tray.
Cover and leave to rise to double its size.
– Heat up oil till, slightly hot, add the doughnuts on lower medium heat, flipping frequently to ensure it cooks evenly on both sides. Don’t over crowd the oil while frying.
In pot cook the lemon juice, zest, sugar and cook down till it is a light syrup, strain with a muslin cloth and cover the syrup properly to prevent a film from forming at the top. Leave to cool.
Dip Doughnuts in Syrup and enjoy.