Filing this under food therapies. I’ve called this soup Ofe Assorted because that is what it is, I’ve used the basic principle for cooking soups like Oha, Onugbu, Ofe owerri to make this soup, using 3 of my favourite vegetables together. I have also resisted the temptation of calling this soup Ofe Owerri as I have no intention of offering the “Guardians of ancient recipes”, as that is tantamount to offending the gods of the land.
I have stayed a safe distance from entering right smack into the controversy of what vegetable goes into Ofe Owerri. I understand the importance of preserving ancient recipes, if you must tweak it, by all means mention that you put a spin on it but don’t say that is gospel.
I’m a Yoruba girl raised in Ibadan and I know that something as simple as a Ewedu soup has to be made as simple as it is yo stay true to it. Just Ewedu, iru water, salt ,seasoning and if you want to add potash to soften it. Addition of Egusi , fish and all what else is a spin on it, don’t sell it as the original recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Oha leaves
- 1 cup shredded Uziza leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Utazi leaves
- 1 litre Stock
- 3 tbsp fresh pepper blend
- 1/2 Cup Palm oil
- Assorted Meats (cooked)
- 3 tbsp ground crayfish
- 1/2 cup mini snails
- 1/2 cup periwinkle in shell
- 1/2 cup shredded Stockfish
- 1/2 cup shredded Bonga fish
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Eja Osan
- 2 Bouillon cubes (I used knorr)
- 1 tsp Ogiri (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried Achi
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook your assorted meats till they are tender and you have about 1 litre of rich stock. To improve the flavour of your stock for this soup add some Stockfish or smoked fish head while cooking your meats.
- Add your fresh pepper blend and palm oil, ground crayfish and cook for about 10mins.
- Next add your smoked fish, stockfish, snails and periwinkle , cook for about 5 – 7 mins.
- Add your achi , stirring it in carefully . Cook on medium heat for about 3 mins.
- Add your vegetables, giving the Utazi and Uziza a 2 minutes head start before the Oha.
- Turn the heat off after cooking it for about 5 mins.