Yamarita is a yam fries variation made popular by an eatery in Lagos called TFC (Tasty Fried Chicken). Served with a side of Pepper sauce, Yamarita can be eaten at any time of the day. It is very delicious. Think yam and egg all in one.
You can use a cookie cutter to cut your yam into fun shapes, the kids would love it.
Here is how I make my Yamarita.
- Cayenne Pepper
- Bouillon Cubes
- Oil for frying
1. Peel yams and cut into semi thick rectangular slices (You can cut into fun shapes to keep the kids engaged too)
2. In a pot boil the yams with enough water until nearly cooked. Take off the heat and discard the water. Leave to cool.
3. While yam is cooking blend onion to a very smooth paste -i blended mine with one egg instead of water-.
4. Break egg(s)into a bowl and mix with salt, bouillon cubes, onion puree and pepper.
5. Seive some flour and mix with some pepper.
6. Roll yam slices in the flour and dip in egg mix.
7. Heat oil, when hot turn the heat down completely and put in the yams, then turn the heat to medium.
8. Fry the yam till golden brown and scoop into oil absorbent paper towels to strain the oil.
And serve with pepper sauce.
Recipe for Pepper Sauce
- Coarsely blended mix of Tomatoes, Scotch Bonnet ( Ata rodo). Depending on how much heat you can take, the pepper should be more.
- Chopped Onions.
- Oil to fry
- *Bacon or Minced meat or fish (optional)
- Bouillon Cubes
Heat up oil till very hot, turn the heat down to medium, pour in chopped onions, allow to fry till the edges crisp a bit, pour in blend of tomatoes and pepper, add seasoning of salt and bouillon cubes. Fry till the water had completely reduced, then add your fish, meat, bacon or whatever it is you are adding.