Beans and Corn Pottage is one of my favourite
est beans meal ever!
I could hear the excitement in her voice when she said, “Mummy we are cooking beans with it right?
“Adalu is basically made by cooking beans and corn together.
• 2 1/2 Cups Honey Beans ( Ewa Oloyin )
• 1 1/2 cups Fresh corn
• 1 cooking spoon Palm oil
• 4 tbsp blended fresh pepper (more or less, depending on your palate)
• 1 tbsp Powdered Crayfish
• 2 small Smoked Fish ( shredded )
• 1 medium sized Onion
• Salt to taste
• Bouillon Cubes (your Maggi, Knorr etc)
– Rinse corn and get rid of threads in the corn. Pick out dirt in beans and wash. Chop Onions.
– Using a pressure pot cook the corn for 10 – 15 minutes before adding the washed beans and chopped onions. Cook for about 20 minutes. Cook with at least 2.5 litres of water, that should be sufficient to cook the food through. If you don’t have a pressure pot, no problem, use a regular pot but give the corn a head start so it can soften a bit before adding the beans.
– After the 20 minutes in the pressure pot or when the beans has softened add, pepper, palm oil, crayfish, bouillon cubes, salt and smoked fish. Cook on medium heat till the all the ingredients are well incorporated and the pottage has thickened.
– Serve with fried plantain or your favourite accompaniment or just have it as it is.