The perfect way to soothe my cravings for juice . I’m currently doing the LCHF diet aka Keto, and I had a serious craving for a sweet drink this afternoon. As fruit juices are not Keto Compliant I had to think up another fix.
See I’m on a one month challenge to lose the extra 7kg I gained recently. This is the heaviest I’ve been sans pregnancy. This my sweet tooth won’t let me be great, sweets and decadent stuff are my achilles heel. Now my sister’s wedding is coming up in a few weeks and I must look smoking hot and fit into the dress I’m going to wear. No sweet tooth can stop me.
• A bunch of fresh Lemon grass Leaves or stalks.
• A few slices of lemon (optional )
• Any natural sweetener of your choice. E.g. Stevie, Honey, Date Syrup etc. (No sugar, nothing that contains aspartame.)
• Ice Cubes
– Wash the Lemon grass to get rid of sand.
– In a pot or kettle, add enough water to cover the lemon grass and boil.
– Let it cook till it boils. Turn off the heat and add the slices of Lemon.
– Leave it to cool, strain and add your sweetener
– Serve with Ice Cubes or Refrigerate before you serve.
*You can store the rest in an airtight bottle for up to 1 week in a fridge.
I was inspired to do this yesterday after I saw a recipe shared on one of the fitness groups I belong. The author used a sandwich toaster to make what she call Egg Sandwich. I tweaked her recipe a little and used a waffle maker to make this.
For those people on a protein diet, this is perfect for you.
You can use a sandwich toaster instead of the waffle iron.
This serves 5 adults.
• 10 fresh eggs
• 1 Cup Flaked fish (Tuna or Mackerel preferable)
• 1 small onion (chopped)
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (you can use substitute with dried parsley
• Salt (to taste)
• 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (dried ground pepper or Atagigun as yoruba people call it)
As shown below. Beat eggs, add all the ingredients together, spray some non-stick cooking spray on the waffle maker , scoop some mix onto the iron and cover till it beeps or the signal light comes on.
Enjoy with a cup of green tea if you are on a protein diet or add whatever accompaniment you please.
Since I made Almond Milk for the first time, I fell in love with it and I’ve made it several more times. In compliance with my diet routines I have had it more frequently in the last few days.
If you are on a diet, here are some of the dietary benefits of Almond Milk
Almond milk is a beneficial addition to a diet geared toward weight loss or weight management. Almond milk is also high in fiber.
A glass of almond milk contains nearly one gram of fiber per 8oz. serving, and fiber is important for healthy digestion.
Plain, original almond milk provides only 60 to 70 calories per cup, and it’s:
Low in protein, providing only 1 to 2 g per cup,
Low in fat 2.5 g
Has 0 g saturated fat
Only 8 g carbohydrates
(culled from thescienceofeating.com)
• Almonds (untoasted, unsalted)
• *Dates (or Honey)to sweeten (optional)
• Vanilla extract
– Soak dried unsalted Almonds for 8 – 12 hours or over night.
* If you are using dates, soak and pit the dates you need about 1/4 cup dates to 1 cup almond.
Rinse Almonds and blend. If you are using dates, blend with dates and water in a blender till smooth. Add vanilla extract.
Use a cheese cloth or muslin cloth to seive it and collect the milk in a clean bowl.
This is probably the easiest vegetable dish you’d ever make. No oil, no pepper , and can be paired with any dish you like. I’ve over indulged in all the sweet and highly calorific stuffs, it’s time to come clean.
• 1 bowl (1 litre bowl) of washed and shredded vegetable (Ugu in this instance)
• 1 Large Onion
• 2 Smoked Mackerel (deboned and shredded)
• Salt to taste
• Bouillon Cubes
• 1 tbsp Powdered Crayfish
– In a pot or saucepan add about 1/8 cup of water, chop onions and set in medium heat.
– After about 5 mins, add the vegetable, salt, bouillon cubes, and crayfish.
– Stir well and add deboned and shredded mackerel. Stir till all is well incorporated. Don’t cook the vegetable too long, let it retain its fresh green colour.
I’ve been having a little too much fun with mine. Portion Control! *winks
I love good food, but I also love to stay fit too, staying fit means eating healthy. I try fad diets now and again but I’ve learnt also that I can still enjoy my favourite foods as long as I control my portion and prepare them in a healthy way.
This long story is to let you know I made mango salsa and I loved it. It is yummy and healthy too. #mangoaddict
• a dash of Lemon juice
Chop all your fruits and vegetables, add a dash of lemon juice and toss them together. You can eat immediately or store in the fridge a little bit before eating.
Mexicans have their’s with tacos, I chose toasted bread sticks